Monday, July 03, 2006

Burgos and beyond

Two days ago the two irish guys that I´ve been walking with and I were going to stop at a little town whos name I have permanentaly blocked from my memory, but we were met with really shoddy hospitality and did not feel welcome at all so we pushed on to Burgos. To say the least it ended up being a 40 kilometer day... close to a marathon of walking... too much to say the least. Then yesterday we parted ways for what I think will be the last time. I must say that I was quite sad to see them go. Michael and Barry, an engineer and an artist, the oldest and youngest brothers of a family, both living in Dublin. So for the next two weeks I get to see who from the original group that came together after Roncesvalles will catch up and pass me. The three of us managed to walk pretty far ahead of everyone (I think), and now I am planning on slowing down enough that I think everyone will catch up and pass me. It´s better though, I´ve been going far to quickly. 25-35 kilometers a day is too fast, I´m on a pilgramage after all, time to rest a little, smell the flowers, and look where I´m walking through.
On that note I've been taking it easy for the last two days only going 20 kilometers trying to rest a little bit. Also, I am into the meseta now which is a geographical feature whose predominant attribute seems to be an absolute lack of trees. This morning I woke up at 5AM and was out walking before 6AM just so that I could make my 20 or so kilometers before the sun came up and roasted me alive. It is beautiful land though. Extremely open with huge expanses of flatness, broken by sudden ridges or valleys that drop down, or pop up, and fade into rocky nothingness after a couple of kilometers.
Mentally I´m feeling better. I think that I caught my second wind and am feeling prepared to continue walking for a while. Physically I´m feeling pretty sound as well, accept for that fact that I´m getting several nasty pressure blisters on my heels. Just as a side note, they are the worst possible blisters I could imagine. Very difficult for me to pop for the double reason that they are in a very awkward location for me to look at, and because they normal skin on my heels is so much thicker than elsewhere on my body.
Another month in Spain, two more autonomous comunidades to walk across. Que bien.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home