Sunday, June 18, 2006

Day two in Barcelona

Last night I wandered around with three very cool canadians and a very loud, slightly annoying american girl from New York for a while before encountering a group of 15 seemingling proffesionally trained women singing for tips on the street at 2:30 AM, after which I lost the four of them while I was listening to the singers. To say the least after getting in at 3:00 AM it was a bit of a stretch to get up before 9:00 this morning to eat breakfast and catch the train out to Figueres to see the Dali museum.
What an incredible experience though. Dali is one of my favorite artists and being able to explore and experience the museum/gallery that he specifically designed to showcase his work was amazing. So four hours total on the train to get out there and return to Barcelona plus 3 hours or so at the museum made for a fairly decent afternoon :-p.
On a more human note, I was able to speak with the spanish girl who was sitting next to me on the journey out untill she got off a little before Figueres. It is extremely encouraging to be able to converse with a completely random person and have more or less a normal and satisfying conversation in which I was able to make some sort of connection with her. Then after she got off I was talking a little bit with another girl who was going home to vote today. Today is the first time that Catalonia is voting on a new regional constitution in something like 40 years {if I understood her correctly that is}. How exciting. Also ran into and American family from Miami who was in Barcelona for 5 days and then going on to Venice for an additional 4 days. Parents: very successful, the father owns a extremely high end gormet restaurant in Miami and is working on publishing his third cook book, mother: very very much an upper middle class american mom of two. Daughters: younger one around 9, doting on her parents, older one around 15 or 16 begining to develope a real personality and question what her parents tell her as well as begining to be curious about the world.
All in all a good day, we'll see where the night takes me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home