Monday, June 05, 2006

Whats new to post about... hmmm....

So I've found a pretty decent circuit that I like to walk. It takes me about 2.5-3.5 hours to walk it depending on if I have my pack on or just my backpack, and it goes up past the Alhambra, up to the farthest, easily reachable, point in the Parque Pariurbano and back down again. I feel like I need to find something a little bit longer the closer I get to July, but for now it will do. Also, I went down to a very nice sports store today to purchase a single season sleeping bag, a pair of hiking boots, and a nice pair of hiking socks. I think that I'm set for another week or so before I start compiling a first aid kit, and other random stuff that I'm going to need to take with me. Other than that I'm pretty excited to be off. Three to four more weeks in Granada and then off to the north of Spain to hike 500 miles or so... Should be exciting :-p
Another thing that I really like about Granada is the fact that there are craftmens shops right on the street. Directly across from the school that is a man who makes beautiful furniture all day and I am regularly awakened in the morning by the sound of his electric stapeler *thunk* *thunk* *thunk*-ing the fabric onto the frames. Also on street up to the Alahmbra there are two guitar makers shops, and deeper down in the city there are numerous shoe repairmen. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is something that is almost non-existent in the states.
On a completely different subject I have decided that there are three types of people who ask for money in the streets. The truly destitute, the truly talented, and the annoying. Two I don't mind, the third I just want to ask them why they are there. A perfect example: there are all of these gypsy ladies who hang around the Catedral and the Alahmbra with little branches of rosemary and they hold them out as you pass and say "A regalo para ti" (A present for you). The unwarned thinks "ohh how nice" takes it and then gets suckered into their scheme. Because as soon as you take it they start to tell your fortune and then threaten you with horrible luck in life if you don't give them money. They are very, very persistent, sometimes going so far as to stick the stupid twig in the crook of your arm or some such just to get you to stop and talk to them. Bleh I want to tell them "Yo no creo en esto." (I don't believe in this), but I think it's wiser just to breeze past them without notice.
Things around the school have begun to pick up. We now have seven students studying for these two weeks, which is enough for the school to plan and outing to the Alhambra, the Catedral, and to offer a trip to Cordoba this weekend. Quite nice actually, and the perfect oportunity for me to go see some things that I have been puting off since I got here.
Also on a completely random note. Being a math geek is really quite nice for me because I constanly have to make approximate convertions between the beautiful, intelligent metric system, and our silly, cumbersome English system (which the Brits don't even use anymore I might add.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

¡Hola!
Mi exámen de la clase de español es mañana.
Estoy estudiando. Pero solo un poco, porque el español es muy fácil ;) El exámen es sobre personas, grupos, productos, lugares, y cultura latinoamericana. También, gramática. (Presente del subjuntivo, gustar/encantar, condicional, futuro, pronombres posesivos, y por/para). Tengo que saber todos las banderas, los paises y las capitales. Y muchos muchos verbos!
¿Sabes que en Chile, Lautaro (un líder indígena) mató a Pedro de Valdivia, el conquistador? ¡Es interesante, y un poco satisfacer, porque los indígenas nunca ganían!
Voy a estudiar ahora.
Te amo, tu hermanita.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home