Thursday, May 18, 2006

un dia por los dios






The photos in no particular order are:
*Three pictures of the school. One of the stairs leading up, and the first level courtyard, one of a corner of the interior stack, and one of the stack taken from flat on the ground in the middle, looking up.
*The two flamenco players
*Julie, Juan Jose (a spanish guy we met), and I
It is official, living at the school is a thing to be extremely grateful for. Tonight the schedualed event was a potluck dinner at Jose's, with sangria provided, and the potential for some Flamenco music afterward. Well, me and Julie left our apartment, picked up Manolo (el jefe de la escuela) on the way out and headed over to Jose's casa. About a 20 minute walk later and we're eating food, drinking sangria and talking on the roof of his building waiting for the rest of the people to come. One everyone gets there we are all treated to some Flamenco music from two players, a bunch of duets from our Russian intern, Sergay, and a German girl, (in Russian, English, and German) and a couple of purely German solo's from the girl. AMAZING, is all I have to say. I would have never guessed that Russian is such a beautiful language for singing, but it is and Sergay's playing/singing made my want to try to learn a bit of it.
I feel like it was such a unique experience to have. Sitting on a random rooftop in Granada with 9 other people having a little fiesta, talking, singing, and listening, all in a complete mix of languages. The important part is that people were able to understand and connect. I find it interesting that I have come to realize, in my own time, the same thing that my brother told me quite a few years ago about travling. The places and monuments are very interesting, and worth seeing, but it is the people and the connections that are really make travling incrediable. Verdad.
I learned another thing that I am proud to be and american about tonight. Julie was talking about the process of applying for a job in Germany and she said that it was required to send in a personal photo with your application. She asked me if requiring that was prohibited in the US. I honestly don't know. It seemed like such a foreign concept to me. Why would an employer need to see a picture of a person they were considering hiring? Why would they need anything other than a list of that persons education, and abilities to determine whether or not to invite them in for an interview. What other reason could there be than for ageism, racism, sexism, (fill in your -ism here)-ism ect.... As much as we still struggle with equal oportunity in the states, in comparison, it is better than many places now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fast things change! Glad to hear you so happy and like the Jason we know. The apartment sounds like the ideal place for you. Eat some Tapas for me and I'll drink some beer for you!

J

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jas,

That's the challange, to meet some different folks who you can connect with - sounds like you are succeeding!

Sorry that the host family didn't work out so well. It sounds like you were in a bad situation.

The ideal family would be one that hasn't had a student before, and who wants you there for the experience of it. Unfortunately, some families have had many many students, and only continue in order to earn extra money - and may even resent YOU because they have to compromise their private space to earn money.

I am vicariously re-living my experiences of traveling through your blog. How great that you can post on here and have an instant way of communicating with people who care about you!

Please keep writing. Tell us more stories about the people you are meeting and what you are learning about.

Kevin

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home