LIBRE!!!






I have spent my time in purgatory to atone for whatever traveling sins I may have made and am now in Heaven. I asked the director of the school if it would be possible for me to change my housing to the apartment over the school, and today he said yes, and gave me the keys. So I quickly moved out of my house stay, and into the apartment this afternoon.
Ohh what a change. Julie, the german girl who is also living in the apartment, has been here for two months already and she has made quite a few friends, so tonight I got invited along for Tapas. Wonderful, wondeful evening. Her friend Salvo, is Italian and he invited a lot of his italian friends as well. Which was very good because all of us are learning Spanish, and it is the only language that we all have in common, and so we spoke in Spanish for the entire evening. Very good for my learning process. Also, it is quite a bit easier with other students because they speak quite a bit slower and don't have such a thick "TH" Adalucian accent. It was very cool speaking with a bunch of people who all know bits and peices of different languages, but who are all trying to learn the same language. The conversation took place in an incredible mix of languages. When one person didn't know a word the rest of the group pooled their colective knowledge to figure out a way to explain it to them. Or to figure out what the word was. So good conversation for one.
The Tapas were sweet, very large, and free with the purchase of a drink. What a wonderful concept. We'll feed you for free when you drink so that you don't get so drunk that you can't leave our establishment... :-p Not only that but the beer was relatively decent as well. Something that I would put on par with Corona perhaps. It's not an Oberon, an Arcadia IPA, or an OP draft, very few beers have the posibility of rivaling Kalamazoo micro brews with me, but it was drinkable. Good food and drink for two.
And then for the third to make the charm, I got to walk back with Julie to our wonderful flat above the school and talk to her about the evening. AND the apartment has a coffee pot!!!! Ohh my savior, what a wonderful day.
The photos are, in no particular order:
*A classroom at the school, with my Profesora: Mar
*My new room. Still small but MINE. LIBRE!
*The coffee pot!!!! w00t
*The remains of some Tapas
*Salvo (Julies Italian friend) and his friend Valentia (I think...)
*Julie, Me and Alexi, all students at the school

3 Comments:
Hi Jason!
Well a person hardly has time to feel sorry for you! Yay! I'm so happy things worked out and you were able to move out of your host family's home. The living conditions there sounded frustrating, to say the least! Your new situation sounds much better, with the added bonus of making some new friends who are learning Spanish, too.
I know you were only intending to stay with your host family for one month anyway - are you thinking you should be able to stay in this apartment for the rest of your time in Spain if you desire?
Thanks for the detailed postings with photos. We so appreciate you keeping us right there with you!
Sue
If I would have posted about my host family when I was first getting frustrated with them, you would have had a little bit of time to feel sorry for me. Since I waited till the end, I achieved freedom almost immediately. Manolo, the director of the school, is awesome.
Jason...
Congrats on your new room! I was going to post on the other post to feel sorry for you but I guess that it's all better now, eh? We really miss you over here but as of now, I wish I was right there with you! You have no idea how incredibly boring school is right now. Luckily there's only about 13 more days left! Huzzah! To give you a taste of good old Portage again, I'll tell you a story. Me and my dad made a highlighter that dispenses tape. It's pretty sweet. But I'd better go, so good luck! Keep us posted!
Mucho amor (don't I have good spanish? Heehee.)
Hannah
Post a Comment
<< Home