SANTIAGO
Two days ago on July 21st, 2006, at approximately 3:00PM Spanish time I walked into the town of Santiago de Compestela. I do not think that I have yet figured out exactly what happened in that moment. All that I do know is that the last two days have been crazy, and that in an hour my brother and I will attend the Misa de Peregrinos again, and then head out for Fisterra.
The one moment from the last two days that comes the closest to how I feel is this: The day that we arrived, after we had found an albergue and met up with some of my friends I found myself alone, sitting in the center of the massive square in front of the Catedral waiting for my fellow pilgrims to return. For the first time in 30 days I found myself NOT hurrying Westward, searching for something untangible and unknown, but looking UP to the EAST, at the benvolent image of Santiago staring down at me. I lay back on the warm paving stones, unable to take my eyes off of him, and watched the clouds stream by behind him in a surrealistic, dream inducing flow. Between the warmth of the stones, the feeling of peace, the hypnotic motion of the clouds and the exhaustion which had been building up over the past 800 kilometers I shortly fell into a peacful, dreamless sleep, only to be awoken by my friends as they returned from their errands.
The one moment from the last two days that comes the closest to how I feel is this: The day that we arrived, after we had found an albergue and met up with some of my friends I found myself alone, sitting in the center of the massive square in front of the Catedral waiting for my fellow pilgrims to return. For the first time in 30 days I found myself NOT hurrying Westward, searching for something untangible and unknown, but looking UP to the EAST, at the benvolent image of Santiago staring down at me. I lay back on the warm paving stones, unable to take my eyes off of him, and watched the clouds stream by behind him in a surrealistic, dream inducing flow. Between the warmth of the stones, the feeling of peace, the hypnotic motion of the clouds and the exhaustion which had been building up over the past 800 kilometers I shortly fell into a peacful, dreamless sleep, only to be awoken by my friends as they returned from their errands.

2 Comments:
We think you two did an awesome thing there. We're amazed!
N Ayr Mtn
You're going farther to do what? I didn't quite catch it all in K's blog. I left another comment, but it didn't show it for some reason.
N Ayr Mtn
Post a Comment
<< Home